Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ocean Illustration

I've started working on some concept art with the inspiration of the word ocean. Although it's not done yet I thought I would post my work in process.

The medium used was Acrylic paint on Illustration board, primed with Gesso.

I feel it's important that I start by saying my phone's camera made the brown look much more orange than it is in person.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 1
My first step was to map out the land from the water, I knew I wanted a worms' eye view kind of angle, so I made sure to make a kind of 'V' shape with the blue of the water towards the sky.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 2
Next was to start adding depth to my terrain, so I added a darker shade of brown to show shading.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 3
Once I had started the shading it I worked on making a more obvious contrast between the light and dark by including white and dark grey with my mixed paints. This turned out fairly well in my opinion.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 4
Once I was fairly happy with the progress I had made in the landscape I decided to start working on the mini submarine.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 5
After adding in a bit more work on the mini sub and including an octopus plus some schools of fish, I decided to let my painting have some time to dry and my eyes some time to rest. This is my progress after about 2 and a half hours, starting at 7pm and wrapped up at about 9:30.
More progress on my Ocean Themed Illustration.
Illustration Ocean Theme part 6
And after adding a few more details....
Illustration Ocean Theme part 7
And I am done the painting aspect of this project. Once I've given it some time to dry I will continue adding detail with pen and possibly coloured pencil.

That's all for tonight! So I'll end with another beautiful quote

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'! " -Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment